Microsoft Internet Explorer/security block when trying to erase temporary internet files

Question
QUESTION: OS XP home; browser IE 8
I have used  Eraser for a number of year to erase (overwrite) temporary internet files and history when I think it necessary.I do so by going to Local Settings where these files are kept. Most of the time I have no problem doing this. About a month ago when I tried go do this I got an info box saying my security settings did not allow me to perform the operation. This occurred again a
week ago.I have no idea what security setting the notice refers to.I tried modifying the few security settings I am aware of but to no avail. I decided to close and restart. When I was rebooted I went to Local Settings and tried again and now was able to perform the erase function.(I do this by right clicking on the file and selecting Erase from the available commands that appear.)
Thanks in advance for any ideas or info that might enlighten.

ANSWER: Hi,

Regarding your issue, it may be possible that either deleted cookie was locked that is why after restarting the computer you were able to clear. In case you notice more issue, please scan your computer with either "spybot search and destroy" or "Malwarebytes" to check for spyware.

In case you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks,
Sandeep Handoo

QUESTION: what do you mean by "deleted cookie was locked"?

I scan my computer for spyware every week.

Answer

In my previous reply, I meant to say that cookie was in use and that prevented you from deleting it and when you restart the computer all the files that were in use prior to restart were released by windows.

If you are using a third party application to delete cookies, then restarting the computer will allow to delete if in case you face this issue again. However, if you use windows application called Disk CleanUp then you will be able to delete cookies without any such issues.

If you still have any question, please let me know.

Thanks,
Sandeep Handoo

Microsoft Internet Explorer

Sandeep Handoo