Microsoft Word/Footnote numbering across section breaks within chapters

Lucas Curti wrote at 2010-04-30 04:42:43
Hi guys,

I found a way to do it. You should set the endnotes to appear at the end of each section. Then, you have to go to each section where you want to get rid of the endnotes, go to Page Setup and mark the checkbox "Suppress endnotes".(Make sure that "This Section" is selected in the "apply to" field. This will bring all the endnotes from this particular section to the next one. Keep doing this until you have all the endnotes on the section you want them to be.

Brent wrote at 2011-11-18 23:36:28
You can apply the decision for FN numbering to be continuous, or to start over at the section break to all sections, or to this section only.  This should allow you to have continuous numbering between some sections (within chapters) and start over at other section breaks (at the end of chapters)?

Anders wrote at 2012-12-17 19:49:45
Hey.. Know this question is old, but I had the same problem.. Windows has a solution for problem with footnotes and section changes. See this link:

Regards Anders

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors