Microsoft Word/table of contents too wide

Craig Talbot wrote at 2011-09-27 03:16:16
MAJOR design flaw in MS Word:  If something scrolls off the page, you should be able to scroll over to see it!!! (like PowerPoint)  I'm trying to modify table columns which I imported that are too wide for the page.  I cannot get to the right side to grab them -- and the help menu is worthless!  I've scrunched the left columns as much as possible and still can't get to the right columns.  How the bleep is one supposed to work with the table when this happens???????  

I consider myself a power user in Word, but this one has me boggled!  HELP!  The answer you provided about the Tabs is worthless because the table is hanging off the edge and you can't scroll over to reach any of the tab stops in the table.

johnbuckwell wrote at 2011-11-09 22:09:45
I had exactly this problem: the TOC level 1 and 2 entries were fine, level 3's went off the edge of the page.  Word 7 would not let me drag the right hand tab for the level 3 entries.  I fixed it by changing the page layout to landscape.  Then the level threes were at least on the page and Word would let me drag the right hand tab back to line up with the others.  Switched back to portrait page layout and it was fixed!

Jim wrote at 2013-12-18 20:08:31
I am using Word 2010 and am having the same issue.  My document is 6 X 9 but when I update the TOC the page numbers are outside the margin and so is the tab>  I was not able to see the right-aligned tab to move it back onto the page.  I deleted the TOC and when I did it from scratch it still did not work.  This is a bug that was report in Word 2007.  I'm surprised it has not been addressed in Word 2010.  The 6 X 9 format is required for eBooks and I'm surprised it was not fixed.  My table of contents is 4 pages in length and building it from scratch is not an easy task.

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors