Microsoft Word/Word 2003

Question
QUESTION: Hello, I have looked on Google to see how to list in a table in Word 2003 alphabetically, they say highlight all, in the  paragraph or table section choose sort, then alphabetically. But my Word>sort, does not show alphabetically, only paragraph. My Word came with the computer. Please can you help?

Word 2003 Table Sort Screen shot
Word 2003 Table Sort S  
ANSWER: highlighting (or selecting) all isn't necessary - click onto any cell in your table, then use table, sort - specify which column to sort by, and as it is text you wish to sort leave it as text and paragraphs and then the sorting SHOULD work as you want.  

Any issues with this please let me know, and if it helps you can send me the document (or a sample version) to aidan.heritage@virgin.net

QUESTION: Thank you for your reply, I had to highlight all the files, as Word said there were no files to sort, I clicked on accending, as the decending made Z at the top of the page, but then they start from the bottom of the page,up, that means I have (say 100 )empty rows at the top, I know I can delete them, but then there are no new rows to work on. Can I tell Word to start the selected rows from the top please? I only have one column.

Answer
I'm not certain that you actually have a table here - which is perhaps the problem- as you could see from the screen shot, I carried out my previous answer and simply was in the table - ascending order is a to z, and descending z to a, so yes, you would need to amend it - and IF you have a range of text you want sorted and ONLY that range sorted, select it first - wether or not it is a table, it's still table, sort - hopefully this is moving closer to what you want - and again, you have my email address if it helps!
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Aidan Heritage