Microsoft Word/Automatically changing text in MS word 2010

Question
Hi Aidan,

I am trying to create labels using word and I am having an issue trying to work out how to automatically change text in one label and have it transfer across to the other labels automatically. I would use excel to create them as it is very easy to do so in that program, but I also need to utilise the mail merge function to number the labels. To spell it out, I have 4 labels per page that are all the same, except for a "bag number" that appears at the bottom of each label that is sequential. There are a few pieces that need to be changed everytime we print the labels but I don't want to have to change it on every label, just the first one. I am hoping there is a way that we can make it so that the other 3 labels automatically update when I change the first one. Hope you can help :)

Thanks, Laura.

Answer
I would be INCLINED to use Excel to handle this for you by creating a bag number field and have this set to increment - I wasn't quite clear if this was for every label?  This article http://word.tips.net/T001492_Sequentially_Numbered_Labels.html may also be of use - but do let me know if I can help further
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Aidan Heritage