Microsoft Word/Comparing documents

Question
hello Mahesh, how are you?

Using Word 2007 and Windows 7, I've run into a situation where I could perform a task, but now, trying again several months later, I cannot do so....
Let's say I have a file whose author is Bob.
A second file, by Jane, is an expansion of Bob's file, i.e.,its contents is that of Bob's file plus additional text made by Jane.
A third file, by Carl, contains the text of Jane's file, plus additional text made by Carl.

Let's say that I'm Bob. I open Bob's file, the first of the three. I click the Review tab, move to the Tracking group where  I click the Track Changes button, then I move to the Compare group where I click the Compare button to see the dialog box "Compare Documents".
I click the red folder image on the left side of the dialog box and I find Bob's file in Windows Explorer; I click it, then return to the "Compare Documents" dilaog box.
I move to the red folder image on the right side, click it to search for Jane's file and I click it. The dialog box refers to  Bob's file on the left side of the dialog box, and Jane's file on the right. I click  OK and I see Jane's file...  with Bob's ORIGINAL FORMATTING STYLE used for his text, and a new and different format for Jane's contribution.
So far, what I see is what I expected...because in the Change Tracking Options dialog box, in the area titled "Formatting", I chose the entry "By author" for the category "Color". I believed that such choice will tell Word to choose a different color for each author.
But here's the problem. I again go the "Combine Documents" dialog box, this time entering Jane's file on the left and Carl's document on the right, then click OK.
In my earlier attempt, at this point I saw THREE DIFFERENT FORMATS, one for Bob, one for Jane, and one  for Carl. But this time, what I see is ONLY  TWO FORMATS... ONE FORMAT FOR BOB AND JANE (IT IS THE ORIGINAL FORMAT OF BOB'S FILE), WHILE A DIFFERENT FORMAT FOR CARL WHICH HAPPENS TO BE THE ONE I SAW FOR JANE WHEN I COMBINED HER FILE WITH THAT OF BOB.
Have I got you confused now?

I look forward to your reply. I expected to see three different formats because the text is that of three different authors.

Chris

Answer
Hi Chris,

I am really sorry - I tried to read it many times but couldn't crack the puzzle :)

I saw one thing that was a bit weird though that you switched ON the track changes option before comparing the documents, not sure why you did that.  Any specific reason?

I am also trying to figure out how did you get 3 different colors - did you first save the Bob and Jane Compare and then compare it with file Carl?  I think thats something I would need clarity on.

Also one thing that isnt too clear is that when you combine documents, MSWord allows you to only keep formatting of one of the documents.  Not sure how you can get all 3 document formats.

Maybe I am missing out something in the question but it will be much helpful if you can share some more information that can clear the above.  Let me know if that's possible.

Mahesh K
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Mahesh