Microsoft Word/Grid lines for a table in MS 2010

I created a table in MS 2010 Word and put gridlines around it. To make it look better, I changed the single lines to double lines and now I can't get rid of the double lines. Clicking on borders and shading which I used to create the double lines will not remove them.

Thank you for your help,

Hello Ray,

There are a couple of ways to put the double lines under the text, it can be either done by paragraph borders or cell borders in a table.

When you open the "Borders & Shading" box, you can select any the borders you want and at the bottom there is a drop down menu that lets you choose the kind of borders you want (paragraph or cell).

In your case, you need to do the following, since you are not sure which borders are applied you can do a hit and try method to remove the borders.  But this needs to be done one-by-one.

First remove the cell borders - open Borders & Shading - Select the box "None" at the top left corner and then select "Cells" from the drop down menu at the bottom.  Click ok.  If this doesnt take off the border it means you have applied paragraph borders.

To remove paragraph borders - Open Borders & Shading - Select the box "None" at the top left corner and then select "paragraph boder" from the drop down menu at the bottom.  Click ok.

I think this should help.  Let me know if it does.

Thanks & regards,
Mahesh K
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

I will be able to answer questions relating to MsWord operations. Any kind of troubleshooting, formatting tricks, shortcuts, etc. which people will need help on. I can also troubleshoot/format documents which are challenging for some users. It helps if users send the document in question along with the query.

I have been a word processor and handling a word processing team for 3yrs. Also been a trainer for word processing.

I had been a expert in this panel before.

B.Sc (Physics)