Microsoft Word/can not open document

I do not know how to open a document.  I would like to add an important number to it.

I used to open documents, find the one I needed and click on it to open it.

Not quite sure where the problem lies here - if you are in Word, you should be able to use file, open (prior to office 2007) or office button, open (2007 onwards) and navigate to the file - which should then be clicked once followed by the open button or double clicked.  In explorer, clicking a file SHOULD open it with the default program - if it doesn't work, this may be an indication that the default has changed - right click and choose open with, then choose Word and select to always use this program - hopefully this will get you going again, but if I have misunderstood do let me know.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions of Word from 2 onwards