Microsoft Word/saving a .doc to a new default location

Question
hello and peace;

my frien, an 86 year old intelligent woman, is writing her 76 nystery novel.

one thing --she is blind.

she relates her problems to me and i do my best to come up with an answer.

this time i am stumped.

she saves a chapter. next day opens word, sees chapter is located not in my documents as normal, but in a folder named 'administrator.'

she cannot access the folder.

how can we change the default location?  currently, the default is "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application ...

she usually has no trouble saving to my documents but mysteriously finds that her saved chapter to be in administrator, instead of my documents.

i'd like to change her default 'save to' location to 'my documents'?

how?

thank you,

brian
lawyer and follower of SWAMI PRABHAVANANDA school.

Answer
Save configuration
Save configuration  
Hello Brian,

There is an option in Ms Word where you can direct the application to a particular folder when you try to save the document the first time.  By default it is set to "My Documents" folder of the user who has logged in.  IN this case, it seems that the user does not have the "Administrator" rights but the default folder location is set to be somewhere in the Administrator folder. You can change this if you have the administrator rights.

For Word 2007, under the "Word Options" button you will have to browse to the "Save" section.  In this section you will notice an option of specifying the default file location.  You can click the browse button and specify the location as per your convenience.

Attached is a snapshot which will help.  In previous versions of Ms Word, a similar option can be found under Tools - Options - Save tab.

Let me know if this helps.

Mahesh K
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Mahesh