Microsoft Word/use of Track Changes Options

hello Nancy, how are you?

Your name appeared at the end of a message that I had sent to Michelle Howell. Apparently, it was passed on to you.

My question concerns the dialog box Track Changes Options.
it has many drop-down boxes with many choices in each box.
Yet, I'm at a loss to understand when this dialog box is of use!
What is it there for? What am I meant to do with it?

Consulting a number of computer books has not helped. Ditto for on-line tutorials.

Can you give a specific example or two of how and when to use the dialog box.

Thanks for your reply.

Chris - track changes options seems to be one of those features that Microsoft is remiss in providing in 2007-2010 help.

I checked Word 2003 help, Track Changes Options and found the following.

Insertions   Sets the format used to mark inserted text.

Deletions   Sets the format used to mark deleted text.

Formatting   Sets the format used to denote formatting changes.

Changed lines   Sets the location of the vertical lines that mark changed paragraphs.

Color   Sets the color applied to insertions, deletions, formatting changes, and changed lines. By default, Word uses a different color for each reviewer. The default setting for all options exceptChanged lines is By author.

Comments color   Sets the color applied to any comments that you insert in a document.
Use balloons (Print and Web Layout)   Specifies when to display comments and tracked changes in balloons located in the margins of your document. SelectingNever places comments and tracked changes in the text of your document. SelectNever to use tracked changes in documents created with Word 2000 and earlier.

Preferred width   Sets the desired balloon width.

Margin   Specifies the margin in which Word displays balloons.

Measure in   Sets the unit of measurement for balloon widths.

Show lines connecting with text   Displays a line connecting each balloon to the location of each change or comment in the document.
Printing (with Balloons)
Paper orientation   Sets the paper orientation when you print a document and its tracked changes or comments. ClickAuto to let Word determine the best orientation. Click Preserve to keep the orientation specified in the Page Setup dialog box. Click Force Landscape to allow the most room for your balloons

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Nancy C. Janyszeski

Microsoft Office 97 to 2010. Certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor and MOUS Master Certified. Sr. Instructional Designer for International IT Certification for Activ, the only UK-based provider of approved training and testing software for ECDL Foundation and British Computer Society Qualifications

Vocational School Instructor in the Microsoft Office Suite . I am Microsoft Office User Specialist (MOUS) Master Certified and was certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor. ICDL certified, Microsoft Office 2010. Sr Instructional Designer for International IT Certification and test designer for Skills Advantage,

MOUS Master Certified, was Certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor, ICDL certified, Microsoft Office 2010.