Microsoft Word/Word damage

Question
Hello
I have a damaged word file.when I open it I see this error:
The Office Open XML file X.docx cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents
When I click Ok I see:
Word found unreadable content in X.docx . Do you want to recover the contents of this document? If you trust the source of this document, click Yes
When I click Yes nothing happen

Answer
Typically, this is caused by a problem in an equation as a result of a bug supposedly fixed by Office 2010 SP1. See http://www.wordarticles.com/temp/Rebuilder.dotm for a template containing a macro to "rebuild" such damaged documents.

If the Rebuilder doesn't do the trick for you, you can post the document on SkyDrive or anywhere else that it can be accessed and then post at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/word and ask for a volunteer to repair the document for you. Some documents cannot be repaired, however.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill