Microsoft Word/Word Widow & Orphans

Question
I am creating a legal document that has articles and sections under each article.  I am trying not to have the article name and article number which are centered in the document, not to stand alone at the bottom of the page (I think that's considered a "widow.")

I have tried Widow/Orphan control, Keep with next, and Keep lines together under the pagination option of the Line and Page Break tab of the Paragraph Option in the ribbon. I'm reluctant to put a (hard) page break in the document for fear that when articles are amended or text added to it, it will cause a blank page to appear or some other kind of malfunction.

Thanks

Jack Devlin

Answer
If you were using the built-in heading styles for these titles, they would be formatted as "Keep with next" by default, but applying this formatting to the headings should do the trick provided you don't have an empty paragraph ("blank line") between the heading and the body paragraphs that follow. Instead, add the appropriate amount of Spacing Before/After to the heading or body paragraphs. If you insist on having an empty paragraph, then you must format it as "Keep with next" also.

For more on the effects of different settings on pagination in Word, see http://WordFAQs.mvps.org/BottomLine.htm.

For a discussion of the rationale for using the built-in heading styles, see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/UseBuiltInHeadingStyles.html.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill