Microsoft Word/auto caps

In the auto-correct menu of Mac Word, can I differentiate between the end of a sentence using a period (.) and a hard return? For example, I want to start a new line,
but do not want the start of the next line to be capitalized. All I can find is you either get the auto caps On of Off. This drives the poet in me crazy.

Format Tag
Format Tag  
Lucy - I see that you are a Mac user but I don't see if you are using a recent version.  I don't use a MAC but the features are similar.

From the Auto Correct dialog box on the Auto Format as you Type tab, select the option to define a style based on your formatting.  

Type a line of text, hit enter for the new line > in the more recent versions you will see a blue line under the first letter that was just capitilized .  This is called a TAG .  If you click on it you will have the option to undo auto capitilization.  

continue typing a sentence and your new sentence will be capitilized but when hitting enter the first letter of the next line will not be capitilized.

I hope this works for you .  I attached 2 images.

Happy New Year.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Nancy C. Janyszeski

Microsoft Office 97 to 2010. Certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor and MOUS Master Certified. Sr. Instructional Designer for International IT Certification for Activ, the only UK-based provider of approved training and testing software for ECDL Foundation and British Computer Society Qualifications

Vocational School Instructor in the Microsoft Office Suite . I am Microsoft Office User Specialist (MOUS) Master Certified and was certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor. ICDL certified, Microsoft Office 2010. Sr Instructional Designer for International IT Certification and test designer for Skills Advantage,

MOUS Master Certified, was Certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor, ICDL certified, Microsoft Office 2010.