Microsoft Word/Enforcing Protection

I have created a Word 2007 form template in which I need to utilize checkboxes in one section and free-form typing (to include bulleted and multilevel lists) in another section.  I have "sectioned" up my document and used the legacy checkbox control and the text control in one section.  I have used the "Filling in forms" selection and identified the applicable first section.  

In my other section (deselected in Section Protection) I have tried the legacy text control and the rich text content control to no avail.  I have even tried inserting a text box - that didn't work either.  As soon as I enforce protection, the formatting buttons on the Home tab become disabled.  I need to use bulleted lists and multi-level lists in this section.  

How can I combine forms controls in one section and retain full editing capability in another section?

It sounds as though you are doing this correctly - your description sounds fine, you have only protected one section - when in THAT section, the formatting buttons will become disabled, but once you click into the other part of the document those buttons will become enabled.

My own templates tend to use VBA to gather the inputs and then leave the document in either a fully protected or fully unprotected state as I find this is easier for my users.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions of Word from 2 onwards