Microsoft Word/Formatting Issues

I am trying to convert Word 97 files to Word 2010. No matter how I try to convert them, it messes up the formatting. Each file is a lesson plan, and I am trying to put all corresponding lesson plans into a book. The program I am using requires all documents be in Word 2010. This project covers 25 years of material, so I quite obviously do not want to manually fix each formatting issue. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

Hannah - the question is what formatting is not as the original?  Is it the font, the margins, do you have styles attached to the original documents?

I would suggest editing a theme in Word 2010 and then, saving the 97 document in 2010 and then applying the theme.

You can give a professional look to a document by applying a document theme. A theme is a set of formatting choices that include a set of theme colors, a set of theme fonts (including heading and body text fonts), and a set of theme effects (including lines and fill effects).

Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint provide many built-in document themes, but you can also create your own by customizing and then saving a document theme.

Open Word 2010 Help and search for ... Customize a document theme

You can take an existing theme and customize it then apply to your documents.  

Hopefully this will lead you in the direction that will be helpful.

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Nancy C. Janyszeski

Microsoft Office 97 to 2010. Certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor and MOUS Master Certified. Sr. Instructional Designer for International IT Certification for Activ, the only UK-based provider of approved training and testing software for ECDL Foundation and British Computer Society Qualifications

Vocational School Instructor in the Microsoft Office Suite . I am Microsoft Office User Specialist (MOUS) Master Certified and was certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor. ICDL certified, Microsoft Office 2010. Sr Instructional Designer for International IT Certification and test designer for Skills Advantage,

MOUS Master Certified, was Certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor, ICDL certified, Microsoft Office 2010.