Microsoft Word/Function If with cross-over reference

QUESTION: Hi, I am creating a Protected-Auto Fillable for but I have a problem.

In my form I have a drop-down list (bookmark name married)with these three options:
married to

I have another bookmark with MarriedTo, in which we input the Wife or Husband Name.

This is part of my Form where I have the problem. If in the drop-down list I select the "married to" option the I need to indicate word to insert the boökmark "MarriedTo" which will inset the Wife or Husband name. but if it is single or divorced I just need to close the sentence with a period.

Settlor is married to Claudio Sanz. Settlor has five children
Settlor is Divorced. Settlor has five children
Settlor is married to .
Here is my problem, if we select the option married to

ANSWER: Based on my experiments, it is not possible to embed another form field within the IF field; it isn't displayed even when the condition is met. But if you have the text form field "MarriedTo" elsewhere, then you should be able to use an IF field as follows:

{ IF { REF Married } = "married" " { REF MarriedTo }" }

Unfortunately, I can't get even that to work, even after I remembered to check "Calculate on exit" in all fields.

You might find it more effective to use a UserForm to collect the information, which would then be inserted at bookmarks in the body of the document. See

QUESTION: Dear Suzanne, thank you so much for your help.
As you said the suggested  formula { IF { REF Married } = "married" " { REF MarriedTo }" }did not work. but playing with it I was able to make it work and it updates automatically too. This is the formula I used:
{ IF "{married}" = "married to" “{ REF MarriedTo \h }” "."  }
Thanks again,

I should have thought of adding quotes (often needed with fields for no known reason). When I do this this, my original syntax works. I was using "married" rather than "married to" in the dropdown, but using your syntax, it would be:

{ IF "{ REF Married } = "married to" " { REF MarriedTo }" }

The only reason for quoting the TrueText is to add a space before it (otherwise it works without quoting the field), and you should not need the period as FalseText because your statement is going to have a period regardless of the results of the dropdown (a period after "single" or "divorced").

You also don't need the \h switch in the REF field, which makes it a hyperlink (this just indicates that you entered it via the Cross-Reference dialog, which has that as a default, instead of typing it manually).
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors