Microsoft Word/Non-printing character

Question
QUESTION: Further to http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

Can you please tell me what the non-printing character represented by the eternity symbol (sideways eight) means? And can you do search and replace for it?

ANSWER: I don't think I've ever seen this one. Where are you seeing it? Does it appear only in a specific font or fonts (some of the fonts supplied with early versions of Corel Graphics had very odd symbols for paragraph marks, for example)?

QUESTION: Problem solved when I zoomed the screen to 200% - it was actually two "degree" signs, being used as non-breaking spaces, side by side. The text had been imported from a pdf which was giving me lots of odd formatting, including lots of said degree signs where an ordinary space would have done.

Thanks for saving me any more time finding the answer to the wrong question!

BTW - I'm going to start asking this of most web form providers - could I ask you to make one small change to your anti spambot checker. Could you include something on the page which tells us whether it is or is not case sensitive. Sometimes I stare at a skewed not-the-same-size "w" or "W" or "P/p" (as opposed to "E/e" or "G/g") and think - "Do I have to fight this, or don't they care?" It would really help.

Answer
Glad you got it figured out! I should have thought of that.

I'm with you on the Captcha stuff. There's always the option to request a different picture if you're not sure of the current one, but I agree that it would be helpful to know whether they're meant to be case-sensitive (I think they mostly are).
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill