Microsoft Word/Office 2007 - checkbox

Morning Suzanne, From Legacy Tools, how do I use the box that a person can click and it puts in a check mark? I can put in the check boxes that when clicking on it, you get an X. Thanks, Russ

What you've got is what there is if you use the legacy form fields. To get a box that can be checked with a check mark, you would need to use an ActiveX control, which is not recommended in combination with legacy form fields. And unfortunately the new content controls in Word 2007 don't include check boxes at all (they were added in Word 2010). The X boxes aren't very elegant, but they do serve the purpose!

If you're creating something other than a protected form--that is, you're not using any other form fields and don't want to protect the document--there is another way to create check boxes, though they require the user to double-click to check/uncheck the box. This method (which was used in a lot of the templates that shipped with earlier versions of Word) requires a combination of macros and AutoText entries and is probably more trouble than it's worth most of the time, but if you're interested, you can find instructions at
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors