Microsoft Word/Office 2007 - Word

Question
Hi again, Suzanne I have a document that has a right column and a left column (it isn't formatted as such, but wording on right side all the way to the bottom and same for the left). I can lock words so they cannot be deleted, can protect the documen. The left column has questions and the user of the document will be able to type in answers. The problem I'm having is when words are typed in, the right column moves. Is there a way to prevent the wording in the right column from moving when typing in the left?

Answer
I'm having a little trouble visualizing this, as ordinarily one would expect questions in the left column and answers in the right. And how you would handle this would depend partly on whether you're using legacy form fields (and protecting the document for filling in forms) or using content controls (in which case the document is left unprotected).

In either case, though, I would suggest that you put the content in table columns, possibly more than two if required. Remove cell borders if desired. Turn off auto resizing for the table: On the Layout tab of the contextual Table Tools, in the Cell Size group, click AutoFit and choose Fixed Column Width. Then size your columns as desired, and text typed in one column will not affect the placement of text in the other column(s).
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill