Microsoft Word/Reducing size of word documents

I have a 49 page document which is 2.7 Mb without the 2 pictures which are causing the problems

When I import the first picture which is 76Kb in size, the size of the word document increases to 6.4Mb

If I import the 2nd picture which is 109Kb in size, the size of the document then increase to 10.6 Mb

I have searched around the web & have followed all the instructions I can find such as switching off background saves, compressing the pictures etc. I have also compressed the pictures in Windows Picture Manager to try & bring them even further down in size.

When I convert to a PDF it reduces to 602Kb. Unfortunately I need to be able to send this out in word format as there is a drop down field which is important to the document.

When I first started working on this the document was 30Mb so I have managed to reduce it by quite a bit but still need some help

Any ideas would be gratefully received

The only answers I know as such are probably ones you've already tried - such as the hints at - however, you mention importing the pictures, so I'm wondering how you are inserting them - if it is insert, picture then this SHOULD be fine, but if you are inserting an object then this might cause the bloat?  
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions of Word from 2 onwards