Microsoft Word/Typing problem

Question
Typing a word document or an e-mail, I have the same problem, or do I have virus?

When I hit a key more than once, at regular typing speed, only the first hit registers.  For example, school becomes schol, seem becomes sem.  I must go back and ad, I mean add, the second leter, I mean letter.  It works OK, if I hit the first of two identical letters, pause, and then type the second identical leter, I mean letter.

This also applies to spacing, backspace, enter. . .in fact, it affects every time a key is hit twice or more in sucession.

Have you ever heard of this?  I have had the problem about a month.

Answer
It's probable that it is hardware or OS related - it may be that the computer is being asked to do too much at a time, so the speed with which you can type double letters is slightly too fast.  It may also be something like sticky keys - the most likely being

Turn on Filter Keys. This option sets Filter Keys to run when you log on to Windows. You can set Windows to ignore keystrokes that occur in rapid succession, or keystrokes that are held down for several seconds unintentionally.
(above taken from windows help)

I would therefore suggest checking that first - without knowing the Operating System I cannot be more specific.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Aidan Heritage