Microsoft Word/footnote number font

I am trying to make uniform all fonts in my (long) document including the footnote numbers in the text and notes. Although new footnote numbers in the notes are 12 point, the older ones are 11 point (superscript). I cannot find a way to make them all uniform at 12 point, excepting by changing each of the 11 point ones manually. I would appreciate any advice you can offer. Thank you. // Jack

image 01
image 01  

image 02 and 03
image 02 and 03  
Hi Jack,

that's an awkward one but bear with me...

Every footnote in your document will have a style; similarly, EVERY footnote number also has its own style[name]
1) Put your cursor in the footnote
2) Then press ctrl plus shift plus s on your keyboard; this will display the Apply Styles window.

It should be something like 'Footnote text'

According to your question though, it's the numbering you're concerned with. If you highlight the number itself (you may have to zoom in to 200% though (see image 1: 01_...gif))  the font style should be 'Footnote Reference', this is what we're playing with. We can do two things:

First of all, we can modify the style.

In the 'Apply Styles' dialog:

1) Click on the 'Modify' button
2) Select the options you want, e.g. font size, style, colour, etc.
3) Click on the Ok button.

This should work.

If for some reason it doesn't...there's a long-winded but guaranteed way of doing it: a Find & Replace on this style.

3) Press Ctrl plus H on your keyboard to display the Find & Replace dialog
4) Put your cursor in the 'Find What' field
5) Click on the 'Special' button
6) Select 'Any Character' (this inserts ^? into the field)
7) Click on the 'Format' button
8) Select 'Style'
9) Find and select the 'Footnote Reference' style
10) Click in the 'Replace With' field
11) Click on the 'Special' button
12) Select 'Find What Text' field (this inserts ^& into the field)
13) Click on the 'Format Button'
14) Select the Font size you want and any other characteristics (see image 02 in 02_and_03...gif for my selection)
15) Click on the Replace, Replace All or Find Next button (depending on what you want)

When I run this (Replace All), image 3 (02_and_03_...gif) shows what happens to mine.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more assistance.

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Russ Crowley

I can answer all questions on Microsoft Word with the exception of VBA and, perhaps, Mail Merging. I have particular strengths in templates, layout, formatting and styles due to the amount I use them, delve into and play about. I know a bit about Mail Merge but don't use it that much (bordering on not at all). I have answered a few questions on the old MVP site before, but that was some years ago (2002-3, I believe).

I started using Word in 1994 and have used most versions ever since. I really took an interest in it when I started as a Technical Writer in 1997 and then started dabbling with macros/VBA a couple of years later. I've been using Word 2010 since July last year and then took a Word certification test 6 days later - I was awarded the expert award.

I have an MCSE from a few years ago and a number of other, non IT-based associations and organisation, but that's about it.

I've written two books to help English-speaking people to learn the Thai language. These are: Learning Thai, Your Great Adventure; and Memory Aids To Your Great Adventure. I'm now starting on two more books (on the same subject). I started off trying to write LTYGA in MS Word (naturally) but, unfortunately, either Word or my computer (or both) couldn't handle the complexity of the document and I had to resort to Framemaker. I'll be writing the new books in Word and InDesign (by the look of it).

I'm Grammar school educated and currently studying for my BA in English at Ramkamhaeng University in Bangkok, Thailand. I'm a CELTA qualified English teacher and also a PADI [dive] Instructor, EANx instructor and an EFR instructor.

I have worked as a Technical Writer for a few years and have worked for a number of clients such as Barclays Bank, Aviva Insurance Company, Vizzavi (subsidiary of Vodafone) and more. Due to my location, I do practically all my work via the Internet and am currently working as a QA Manager and Technical Writer/Business Analyst for CASSA Australia where I am providing many roles including templates and documentation design (in Word of course)