Microsoft Word/page numbering in word 2007

Question
i have been in touch with a colleague of yours and who has been most helpful but i wanted to give her a little rest simply could you tell me how i can number word pages as x of y everytime whenever i want   there are papers on this but i have read enough
just need not to number like    1   1-1    1-3   or anything  just x of y

thank you

Answer
Page x of y
Page x of y  

I'm using Word 2010 but as far as I remember page numbering is similar in 2007:

You need to enter two fields, the first is the 'Page' field. The best way to do this is:

1) Go to where you want to insert the first field (either header or footer)
2) Click on the 'Insert' menu
3) Click on the 'Quick Parts' button
4) In the 'Field names' list, find 'Page'
5) Select it and then select the 'Format' you require.
6) Then click on the 'Ok' button

This will insert the page number at the cursor in the header or footer (in 1)

7) Then enter a space, then 'of', then another space (1 of )

Now you need to enter the number of pages:

8) Click on the 'Quick Parts' button again
9) Find the 'NumPages' field in the list
10) Select it and then select the 'Format' you require.
11) Click on the 'Ok' button.

This will insert the 'Numpages' field at the cursor again and should leave you with [Pages] of [Numpages].

I've enclosed a screen-shot to assist.

You can update any field in Word by placing the cursor in it and pressing the F9 key.

Hope this helps? If there are any problems, feel free to get back to me.

Russ
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Russ Crowley