Microsoft Word/Problem with bullets

Question
I have office 2007 and I am doing a chronological resume. The template the instructor gave us has the heading (summary of qualifications) on two lines.
after the end of the heading on the top line there is a tab over and then a bullet list starts on that same line. I have tried to put the bullet in when I tab to start the list. It inserts at the begining of the sentence before summary. I have tried to type the list, highlight and then add the bullets, that didn't work either. I have tried to do the bullet list and then go back and add the heading, didn't work. I can't figure out how to make the heading and the begining of the list start on the same line with a bullet. I can't ask the techer, she doesn't answer e-mails on the weekend. I have to turn this in monday afternoon and at this rate, not gonna happen. Please help.

anne marie shively

Answer
Heading and bullet
Heading and bullet  
Hi Anne Marie,
Word has two main kinds of styles: Paragraph and Character. What you’re trying to do here is apply a paragraph style and a character style within the same ‘paragraph’ but outside the normal constraints.
There are a number of ways to resolve this:
1)
  i)   Create your Heading, using a Heading 1 style, for example.
 ii)   Insert a tab (in the normal manner) on the same line
 iii)   Then, because Word won’t allow you to insert a bullet list on the same line, you have to Insert Symbol. (Alt plus I,S on your keyboard)
You then select a symbol which is exactly the same as the bullet style in the following paragraphs (whichever font you use) and insert that symbol.

iv))   Then you can tab after the symbol and apply a character style font to the following text (font style, bold, italic, etc.)

v) On the next line, you can start your bullet list properly.

Another way to do it is to create an image of the bullet you use and insert that as a picture. You need to know what to do with image software; it's not difficult but I can say that because I know what to do! You then format that picture inline with text and can insert a tab after it.

The third method is to use a 3 column table. Heading in the first column, bullet in the second, list item in the third.

I've enclosed a screenshot of me doing it. It may need tweaking though, this was done in a rush as it’s late where I am and you seemed in a rush.

Hope it helps but if you have any problems, let me know and I can look at it tomorrow/later today.

Russ

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Russ Crowley