Microsoft Word/Word 2007 in XP Pro

Copy pasted text come sup with blue tint in background.  Have tried the suggestions from this site to no avail.  Answers before were vague and the one person who seemed to fix it did not say how???

It appears to be something Microsoft has put in maybe to stop kids from copy pasting for school????  Anyway it is a major pain when modifying documents...I Hope you can tell me how to get this off here before I go MAC!!!  LOL

Paste special function
Paste special function  
Hi Roland,

I've never experienced this myself but I have heard [or read] that it appears when copying from certain sites such as Wikipedia or similar, and is a rudimentary method of trying to prevent plagiarism. I'm sure plagiarism is furthest from your mind and you cite your sources correctly; here's how to get rid of it:

First of all:

1) Copy the item, the line or section of text
2) Under the Edit menu in Word, there is a 'Paste Special' menu item, click on it
3) In the dialog box that opens and you will see an option for 'Unformatted text', select that option
4) Click on the Okay button.

This should work but, as mentioned, I've never come across it. If that doesn't solve the issue, do this:

1) Copy the section of text as before
You now need to open Notepad or similar text editor
 i) On a Windows PC, press the Windows Key plus the R key [to enter the run command]
 ii) Type Notepad into the field (just Notepad, no quotes)
 iii) Press the Ok button.
     This will start Notepad.
2) Paste the text into Notepad
3) Select all the text in Notepad
4) Copy the text in Notepad
5) Switch to Word and paste it into Word.

I've never known this second method to fail. Copy and pasting via Notepad strips all code from article as such, written in MS Word for the web, or vice-versa.

If for some reason this doesn't work, I would need you to walk me through the exact steps of how you've got to this stage so I can try and recreate the problem.

Hope this helps.

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Russ Crowley

I can answer all questions on Microsoft Word with the exception of VBA and, perhaps, Mail Merging. I have particular strengths in templates, layout, formatting and styles due to the amount I use them, delve into and play about. I know a bit about Mail Merge but don't use it that much (bordering on not at all). I have answered a few questions on the old MVP site before, but that was some years ago (2002-3, I believe).

I started using Word in 1994 and have used most versions ever since. I really took an interest in it when I started as a Technical Writer in 1997 and then started dabbling with macros/VBA a couple of years later. I've been using Word 2010 since July last year and then took a Word certification test 6 days later - I was awarded the expert award.

I have an MCSE from a few years ago and a number of other, non IT-based associations and organisation, but that's about it.

I've written two books to help English-speaking people to learn the Thai language. These are: Learning Thai, Your Great Adventure; and Memory Aids To Your Great Adventure. I'm now starting on two more books (on the same subject). I started off trying to write LTYGA in MS Word (naturally) but, unfortunately, either Word or my computer (or both) couldn't handle the complexity of the document and I had to resort to Framemaker. I'll be writing the new books in Word and InDesign (by the look of it).

I'm Grammar school educated and currently studying for my BA in English at Ramkamhaeng University in Bangkok, Thailand. I'm a CELTA qualified English teacher and also a PADI [dive] Instructor, EANx instructor and an EFR instructor.

I have worked as a Technical Writer for a few years and have worked for a number of clients such as Barclays Bank, Aviva Insurance Company, Vizzavi (subsidiary of Vodafone) and more. Due to my location, I do practically all my work via the Internet and am currently working as a QA Manager and Technical Writer/Business Analyst for CASSA Australia where I am providing many roles including templates and documentation design (in Word of course)