Microsoft Word/april 2010 question

Expert: Nancy C. Janyszeski - 4/14/2010

Seeing the following question saves me from doing the asking.
Word document when created in office 2003 and reopened in office 2003 instead of letters squares appear. how to make it readable.

I (Joe) changed computers and now find that some of my saved documents and spreadsheets are using a new language. Besides some letters there are many squares which are the same size as the letters interspersed between the letters. This looks like a computer language which cannot be deciphered.
Hopefully you received an answer to the 2010 question and can help me with my problem.
         Thanking you for your time,

Joe - I see that you have changed computers which means it is possible that the font used to create the documents are not installed on the current computer or it is a differnt printer attached.

Before assuming the worst I would select all the text and apply a different font.  Try a very basic one like Arial, Times New Roman or even Courier.

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Nancy C. Janyszeski

Microsoft Office 97 to 2010. Certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor and MOUS Master Certified. Sr. Instructional Designer for International IT Certification for Activ, the only UK-based provider of approved training and testing software for ECDL Foundation and British Computer Society Qualifications

Vocational School Instructor in the Microsoft Office Suite . I am Microsoft Office User Specialist (MOUS) Master Certified and was certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor. ICDL certified, Microsoft Office 2010. Sr Instructional Designer for International IT Certification and test designer for Skills Advantage,

MOUS Master Certified, was Certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor, ICDL certified, Microsoft Office 2010.