Microsoft Word/Bullets

Question
Hi
Here's a challenge for you
I want to create a custom number style within the 'define new number format option.
The standard options are 1, 2, 3 etc or a, b, c
I have a particular requirement to use predefined sequence of
a, m, s, e, t, ie not sequential

Is there any way to do this and have it appear in the number style
drop down list

thanks

jim

Answer
There's certainly no built-in way to do what you want, and the only workaround I can think of would be almost silly, but I suppose it could be done. It would NOT add your sequence to the "Number style" list, but it would provide a list that you could use. This method will work only if the sequence has nine or fewer items (a, m, s, e, t, as stipulated, would work).

Exactly how you go about this will depend on what version of Word you have. In Word 2003 or earlier, you'd start with Format | Bullets and Numbering | Outline Numbered. Select the third pane in the list gallery (the outline bullets) and click Customize. In Word 2007 or above, you'd use Define New Multilevel List.

The basic requirements for this list would be that you have a separate style for each bullet (you could use the List Bullet series of styles) and that each lower-level style be set as the "Style for following paragraph" of the next-higher style. In other words, when you press Enter at the end of a List Bullet paragraph, you'd get List Bullet 2. Press Enter and get List Bullet 3, and so on.

Having set that up, you then select Level 1 in the Customize Outline Numbered List or Define New Multilevel List dialog, make sure it is linked to your top-level style (List Bullet in my example), select New Bullet in the "Number style" list, select "(normal text)" as the font in the Symbol dialog, and then select a as the bullet. Continue to Level 2, linking it to List Bullet 2 and selecting m as the bullet. Repeat for each level.

Once you get to t in the list, you can either use shortcut keys to restart the list, or you can set the style (List Bullet 5, say) to be followed by the first style (List Bullet), or it can be followed by Normal or Body Text as appropriate.

The basic technique described above is spelled out in the articles at http://WordFAQs.mvps.org/QandA.htm (Word 2003 and earlier) and http://WordFAQs.mvps.org/QandA2007.htm (Word 2007 and above); you would just be extending it beyond two levels.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill