Microsoft Word/Front Page

Question
On the last stretch of  appearance editing on my assignment for college, I realized, I had a problem. Per the college format guidelines, you're supposed to have their official FrontPage (which you download as a document and copy into your assignment) as the first page, and then your own FrontPage (which you choose from one of the FrontPages from Word) as the second page. I have tried over and over to get the FrontPage, created by Word, to be my page number two, but it has been no use.

I'm using Word 2010. Can you help me?

Yours sincerely

Answer
When you use Word's option to insert a "cover page" building block, it sets the "Different First Page" setting on that section, so the cover page must be the first page of the section. What you'll need to do is to insert a new section before your cover page and insert the downloaded document into that section. It will be easier to deal with the section formatting if you switch to Draft view.

In Draft view, you will probably see no content for the cover page except a couple of paragraph marks and a page break (at least that's what I see if I use the built-in Grid cover page). Place the insertion point before the first paragraph mark and use Page Layout | Page Setup | Breaks | Next Page (or Odd Page) to insert your break. You can then switch back to Print Layout view.

Place the insertion point to the left of the section break and use Insert | Text | Object | Text from File to insert the cover page you downloaded (which you select in the Insert File dialog).

You can actually accomplish the same thing (more or less) with just a page break rather than a section break (your cover page will be on the second page), but then any header or footer that you have on the following pages will be repeated on the cover page. If you have a front matter section that has no header or footer content, then it won't matter, and a page break will work as well as a section break, but it will still be easier to see what you're doing if you switch to Draft view.

There are many cover page building blocks, however, for which the above procedure will not work at all, I find. In that case, I would suggest creating your own cover page from scratch (after inserting the prescribed one) instead of trying to use one of the built-in building blocks. For more on dealing with front matter, see http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/front_matter_2007.htm.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill