Microsoft Word/Printing from MS Word

Question
I'm trying to print a document from Microsoft Word, but when I print it, a few question marks appear on the hard copy that aren't on the screen.  I tried saving it as a PDF and then printing from that, but the PDF file displayed the hidden question marks that I can't see on my word document.

I think the question marks are user-inputed and not generated from Word itself.  I just don't know how to make them disappear!

Answer
When you display nonprinting characters (Ctrl+*), which should include Hidden text, do you see the question marks? If so, check to see whether Word is set to print Hidden text. If so, you should also see the question marks in Print Preview (not Print Layout view).

If you don't see the question marks in Print Preview, try pressing Alt+F9 to display field codes. Do you see anything between curved brackets (braces) at the location of the question marks? If so, what is the text of these fields? If they're not needed, you can just select and delete them.

If neither of the above suggestions is helpful, send a *small* sample of the document containing one or more instances of the problem to me at ssbarnhill@gmail.com, and I'll take a look.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill