Microsoft Word/table of contents

Question
Hi, I'm just trying to create a table of contents in Word 2007 such that the main headings DON'T have a page number while the subheadings DO.  I've been through quite a few tutorials and such and haven't found anything.  Can you help?
Thanks.

Answer
Hi George,

Apologize for the lateness of this reply.

Hope this resolves the issue for you.

When you have inserted your table of contents, right-click on heading 1 and Edit Field. When the window opens, scroll down and select the TOC Field Name, then click on Field Codes, then select Option and when the Options window opens, close to the bottom of the dialog box you will see an area where you can add Field codes, this is what you want in that box: TOC \o 1-3 \n 1-1.  Update your Table and voila!!!

(1-3 represents the number of headings, so if you have more than 3 headings, change 3 to represent the number of headings you have in the document.)

Hope this helps.

Mary Lindsey
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Mary A Lindsey