Microsoft Word/Windows Office 2007 - Word

Hope this New Year finds you well. I have a quick question about the read-only setting for Windows Office 2007 - Word. I have created a word document and set it up like a checklist. In some areas of the document, my staff will need to enter time, date, and other text as needed. I then set content control so those words (time:   , Date:   ) cannot be deleted but they can type text next to the content controlled words. Behind those words and other words I put in, are the words "Click here to enter text". I then set the document to read only with a password. The issue is that when I open the document and don't use the password but click read-only, I can still write in the areas that say "Click to enter text" and save it like any un-protected document. What I want to see happen is this: My staff open the checklist as read-only, type in their text, then save each checklist in a file that I will create (ie: Save as: January 4, 2012 Checklist, etc). When I tried that without using t
he password to unlock the read-only feature, the document could still be modified, text could be deleted."

A read-only document can still be modified BUT the users cannot save the file over the original - though they CAN do a save-as to create a new version - your document sounds like it needs to be an online form - see for a walk-through on one way of doing this.

Hopefully this answers your question - I found it in the "Question Pool" area which is where questions rejected by other experts go - I make it a rule to never reject questions asked of me but rather to answer with as much (or little) information as I'm able to find out.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions of Word from 2 onwards