Microsoft Word/Word 97 Sort Function

Question
I have a certified copy of Office 97. I use it to install only Word 97. I don't install Excel, Outlook etc. I have installed Word on many computers & am currently using it with Windows 7 Home premium.

Every thing works except the sort function. If I try to sort a column (even a short colum), Winword stops working. I have reinstalled the disc but no luck with sorting.

I have google this problem but nothing comes up. If you have any ideas...

Thanks,
George

Answer
I'm afraid I haven't come across this, although you are using an older version there is no logical reason I can think of why it SHOULDN'T work - it is possible there is an add-in (or macro?) which could be causing the problem so MIGHT be worth deleting the normal.dot file - as you probably know, this will be re-created from clean when word restarts.  IF you have settings on this file, I would rename it instead of deleting as if it doesn't solve the problem you can simply name it back again, or else you can re-import any settings from that file.  Other than that, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas too!
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Aidan Heritage