Microsoft Word/Word 2000 problem

Question
QUESTION: I have a problem with Word 2000.  The program opens and runs OK (including if I double click on a file name wherever I see it).  However, if I click on the File tab at the opening Word screen I get the New and Open options but none of the options under New are available by clicking (although I can get a new document using Ctrl+N).  Clicking on the listed options just gives me the "I beam" cursor.  I'm thus not able to access the More Word Templates option although I know that more Word templates are available (I can find them using Windows Search; they're in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates.  If I click on the desired template from the last sub-folder, up it comes and I can work with it.  What I don't know (and it's most inconvenient) is why I can't access the template from the File drop-down list.  

I've tried Detect and Repair (using the CD) but the problem is still there.  Can you or anyone else help or will I have to uninstall and reinstall Word totally from the CD?  If the latter, it's no big deal - but I'd just like reassurance that I haven't overlooked something simple!

ANSWER: I'm a little confused because your description doesn't seem to match Word 2000 unless it has been modified. You speak of a "File tab," which sounds like a description of Word 2010 or 2013. Word 2000 has a File menu, but your description doesn't seem to match that, either, at least not judging from the images I find using Google Image search (I've never actually had Word 2000--I skipped from 97 to 2002--and the oldest version I have installed is Word 2003).

All the images I see show New... on the File tab with the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+N, which doesn't make sense to me because New... opens the New dialog (or New Document task pane in Word 2002 and 2003), whereas Ctrl+N opens a new blank document.

In any case, there are several "New" commands: FileNewDefault (which is on the Standard Toolbar as "New") opens a new blank document; FileNew ("New..." on the menu) opens the New dialog; FileNewContext opens a submenu (this may be what you're describing; Other... on that menu opens the New dialog). I would have thought that repairing would have restored your default setup, but you can do it manually.

Double-click on a toolbar to open the Customize dialog. If you haven't customized any of the menus, you can select the Toolbars tab, then select Menu Bar and click Reset. If you have customizations you want to save, then you can use the Commands tab to drag the New... command to the File menu. This assumes that you do actually have Word 2000. If you have a later version, then there will be a plethora of other options that may not be what you want. See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/management/what-version-of-word-do-i-have.html.

Blank new document
Blank new document  
QUESTION: Dear Suzanne,

I apologise if my terminology was confusing.  The file ďtabĒ I was referring to is the one at top left of the Word opening screen (labelled File) and top left in the attached image.  It is not possible to show the subsequent drop down menu from this in the Alt+PrtScr screen dump which Iíve used to create the original .doc file,   Incidentally, my reference to the cursor becoming an I beam applies only if I try to call up a new template whilst in an existing document; if I try to access the required template from the Word opening (ie, blank) screen, nothing happens to the cursor and no new template either.  

Whatever, Iíve followed your instructions via Toolbars>Customise>Reset but the problem remains.  Does this throw any new light on whatís amiss?  

Regards

Bill W

ANSWER: If resetting the Menu Bar does not help, then I would suggest manually adding the FileNew command (New...) to the menu. If you're not clear on how to do that, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/AsgnCmdOrMacroToToolbar.htm.

If that doesn't work, some other thoughts: What version of Windows do you have, and what is the setting of Tools | Options | Show: Windows in Taskbar? The wording of the option may be a little different in Word 2000, and Word 2000 may not even have that option, since it was the first version to adopt the single document interface. I'm also wondering if the New dialog could be opening behind the open Word window; if you have Word maximized, restore it down, make the window smaller, and then drag it aside to see if anything is behind it.

Word 200 new doc screen
Word 200 new doc scree  
QUESTION: Dear Suzanne,

Thanks for that swift follow-up concerning my problem.  I'm not sure if I've done what you suggested (you're getting me into somewhat deep water!) but I can't find Show: Windows in Taskbar via Word Tools, etc.  However, if that's where you'd expect it to be rather than Explorer Tools, etc, perhaps there's a clue to the problem in the following:

If I click on Tools>Options>File Locations in Word I get a screen as per the attached .png image.  If I click on Modify for each of the items in the menu (just to see what's already there), all appear to be OK except User Templates and the Startup items, for which folders neither shows any contents.  I'm not sure if Startup should have anything but one thing I'm absolutely sure of is that if I seek out the Templates folder via Search or Explorer, all of my previously created "More Word Templates" are in that sub-folder.

The plot thickens, does it not?

My OS is WinXP (temporarily only to SP2, although everything has worked OK until now),
Internet Explorer v 8 is installed but I prefer to use Google Chrome which is my default.

Also, there are no "hidden" windows; all appear to be OK whether Maximised or Restored Down (minimised?).

If this helps then I look forward to hearing from you again - and thank you for your perseverance!

Regards

Bill W

Answer
I'm not seeing your image, but I think you've probably hit the answer. In Windows Explorer, navigate to the Templates folder and copy the path from the address bar. Then, in Tools | Options | File Locations, select User Templates, click Modify, and paste that path into the "Folder name" box. If you've done this correctly, you should see subfolders representing the tabs in the New dialog.

Just FYI, when I looked at your first image again, I could see that you were already running in a "Normal window," as the middle button at the top right shows Maximize; if the window were maximized (filling the full screen), the button would say Restore Down, which would "restore" it to a "Normal window," which can be moved and sized. If you minimized the window, I would expect that any open dialogs would be minimized with it.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill