Microsoft Word/printing problems

hello Suzanne, how've you been?

I'm seeing a problem not encountered before, i.e., say a week ago this problem did not exist.

I use Word 2010 and Windows 7. On the same computer, the printing problem also exists in Word 2007 and Windows 7.
On a second computer, tied to the first one with a router, there is no problem when using Word 2003 and Windows XP.

I have a 4-page document. With Word 2010, I click the File tab, then glide down and click Print. Under the word Settings, there are several choices. I picked "Print Custom Range". Under that title, there is a text box and to the left of the box is the word "Pages:"
Here are some examples of the problem when I enter numbers in the text box:
1. I enter "2,3" (without the quotes, of course), but the printer prints pages 1 and 2 !!
2. I enter "2" but the printer prints page 1 !!
3. I enter "3" and the printer prints page 2 !!
4. I enter "1,3" and the printer prints page 2 only !!
5. I enter 1,4 and the printer prints page 2 only !!
6. I enter 4 and nothing prints !!

Only when I use the "Print Current Page" option can I print the page I want. But this is a time-consuming approach.

I look forward to your reply.

It appears that you're having this problem with a specific document. Does the document contain more than one section? If so, you probably need to include the section numbers (see Or does it have a cover page inserted using Insert | Cover Page? We have recently discovered that in Word 2010, the cover page is inserted as page 0, the following page starting at 1 (in Word 2007, it is page 1, and numbering of subsequent pages follows naturally).

Make sure that you have chosen to display the "Formatted Page Number" on the status bar (as well as the section number). This will tell you what Word thinks the page number is (so you can see if the document starts with 0).

All that said, I have had documents where even using Print Current Page would give me the wrong page. I think the problem is due to having headings formatted as "Page break before," possibly preceded by a section break, but I've never been able to completely figure out the problem.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors