Microsoft Word/Word 2007

Question
QUESTION: Dear Suzanne
Thanks for your advice on the issue of turning off the automatic updating of styles in Word 2007, which you have posted elsewhere. I can follow most of the instructions but would be grateful for more help in the changing the macro in Visual Basic, which I haven't been able to do.
The instructions are:
Press Alt+F11 to display the Visual Basic Editor. Press Ctrl+G to show the Immediate Window.
Type: ActiveDocument.Styles(wdStyleNormal).AutomaticallyUpdate = False
Press Enter, and save the document.

Unfortunately I don't understand these instructions, as I don't understand Visual Basic and the Alt+F11 doesn't work on my PC. Can you explain in a little more detail?

Thanks

Rob

ANSWER: If Alt+F11 doesn't work, then you may not have installed VBA as part of your Office installation. If that's the case, then you won't be able to open the VBE unless you do a "Change" install of Office to install VBA.

QUESTION: Thanks Suzanne. I can access VBE through the Macros tab on the Word 2007 ribbon, but after that I am stumped!

Best wishes

Rob

Answer
Well, after you open the editor, just follow the instructions you cited:

Press Ctrl+G to show the Immediate window.

Type (or paste): ActiveDocument.Styles(wdStyleNormal).AutomaticallyUpdate = False

Press Enter.

Close the VBE and save the document.

To be clear, this is not necessary for any style except the Normal style; automatic updating can be disabled in any other style through the UI.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill