Microsoft Word/Links

QUESTION: Hello Suzanne,

I have set up some chapters in a book I am writing. They are linked and so adjust when I introduce a new chapter.

I need to know how to link any subsequent paragraphs to the chapter number so that they will also up date when the chapter number does.

Chapter 15

Now chapter 15 is moved and becomes chapter 17.

Chapter 17

As do the numbered paragraphs which also change.

Kind Regards

ANSWER: The bible on outline/multilevel list numbering is ( if you have Word 2003 or earlier). This explains how to set up your headings to include the higher level number.

QUESTION: Hello Suzanne,

This didn't really answer my question.

What I was looking for is to link the chapter number with each paragraph number (the first number of the paragraph line) so that when the chapter number changes so do the paragraph numbers and keep them the same.

I don't think the multilevel list does this.

Well, yes, it does, if you link Level 1 to the style used for your chapter number (with auto numbering) and Level 2 to the style used for the paragraphs. A good place to start is with the list template that shows 1 Heading 1, 1.1 Heading 2, 1.1.1 Heading 3. Modify this to include the word Chapter before the number in Heading 1. Change level 2 to be linked to a body text style instead of Heading 2. When you use the linked styles, the numbers will be applied automatically. If you add another chapter, the paragraph numbers will update automatically.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors