Microsoft Word/Mail Merge

Question
Hi Suzanne - I am trying to merge addresses in an Excel workbook into label form in Word 2013.  I just did a successful merge with one of the spreadsheets in the workbook.  When I select a different spreadsheet in the same workbook as my recipient list for a separate merge, I still get the data from the original spreadsheet.  So I copied the spreadsheet I'm trying to merge into a separate workbook.  When I start a new merge, select the recipient list, and browse to the location of the new workbook, it says to select the table, so I do.  Then another "select the table" dialogue box comes up with no table listed in it, so I click OK, and it says "Word was unable to open the data source".  I have tried the mail merge wizard and doing it manually, but it's the same either way.  help...   Thanks,  Dawn

Answer
Mail merge is not really my specialty, but in some versions of Word (though I thought perhaps later ones had gotten around it), only the first sheet in an Excel workbook was accessible as a data source. I'm not sure why you're having the issues you're having if you've moved the data to another workbook, though. The only thing I can suggest is that you look at http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm and see if there is any respect in which your procedure differs from what Graham describes (the screen shots are from Word 2007, but the procedure would be the same in Word 2013).

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I'm actually still running mail merges from Word 2003, which works just the way I expect it to!
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill