Microsoft Word/pagination problems

hi Nancy!

I use Word 2010 and Windows 7. I'm working with 2 files. One is a 100-page file with lots of graphics and chapters.
The other is brand new with no text.

When I paginate the new file, using Alt+I, then the U key, I have no problems. The first page is numbered page 1, and I choose not to show the number. The second page is numbered
page 2, etc. The front matter is numbered with Latin numerals, the next section is numbered with Arabic numerals, and all is well.
But my 100-page document is something else. For the first page, looking at the bottom left of the screen, I see
"Section 1    page 1 of 100";
I don't want the first page of a section to show a page number in the header, so I don't check the corresponding check box.
But then I look at the header of the second page, and I see "iii"; the third page header shows a "iv", etc. Obviously, something is wrong. Yet, the entries at the bottom left of the screen are correct...that of the second page shows:
"Section 1   page 2 of 100"
and that of the third page shows:
"Section 1   page 3 of 100"

I recall seeing somewhere that the solution is to number the first page as Page 0, and that will result in the first page showing a "1", the second page showing a "2", etc.

But I don't know how to do this.
In any case, I need help and your reply is appreciated.

Thanks, and Happy New Year.

Chris - I understand the frustration and at one time had a similar situation , by the time I was done editing I had removed all page numbers from my document.

To change the starting page number to Zero

Insert > Header Footer > Page Number > Page number format > Page Numbering > Start at

I sure hope this works for you.

Happy New Year

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Nancy C. Janyszeski

Microsoft Office 97 to 2010. Certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor and MOUS Master Certified. Sr. Instructional Designer for International IT Certification for Activ, the only UK-based provider of approved training and testing software for ECDL Foundation and British Computer Society Qualifications

Vocational School Instructor in the Microsoft Office Suite . I am Microsoft Office User Specialist (MOUS) Master Certified and was certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor. ICDL certified, Microsoft Office 2010. Sr Instructional Designer for International IT Certification and test designer for Skills Advantage,

MOUS Master Certified, was Certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor, ICDL certified, Microsoft Office 2010.