Microsoft Word/wrong pagination

Hi Suzanne, please help me!

I have a brand-new file, and the pagination is fine, i.e., the first page is numbered i, second page is numbered ii, etc.

But I have an older, multi-page document, where the first page is numbered ii, the second page is iii, etc.
I have read, here and there, that the solution is to number the first page as page 0, and an i will appear on the first page.
But I can't find a way to do it, i.e., to number the first page as page 0.

I look forward to your reply.

I'm guessing that by "first page," you must mean the first page after a title page or cover sheet. When you are using arabic numbering, you can in fact enable "Different first page," omit numbering from the First Page Header/Footer, and start the numbering at 0, which will result in the second page (the first text page, following the cover sheet) being numbered 1.

Unfortunately, with roman numerals, there is no 0, so you can't use this trick. In this case, you will have to insert a section break between the cover page and the first text page and start the numbering at i in the second section.

If in fact you actually don't have a cover page, and the first page of the entire document is numbered ii, then you must at some point have changed the "Start at" number. If you just change the Page Number Format to "Continue from previous section" (the default), then it will start at i as expected.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors