Microsoft Word/customized TOC

Suzanne, my apologies if this is somewhat redundant; my last query was sent prematurely.

The document is a test plan, and each section (test) has an accompanying pass/fail result.  The section is heading 2 and the result is heading 6.  I have formatted a TOC, (entitled "Table of Results") with the following: {TOC \t "Heading 2,1, Heading 6,2" \b "TestResults" \h \n}.  It appears as follows:

6.1   Layer 2 Latency
6.2   Throughput - Partial Mesh 10G

etc.  The functionality is fine, though I'd like to alter the appearance.

I would really like the two headings on one line as such:

6.1   Layer 2 Latency          PASS
6.2   Throughput - Partial Mesh 10G          PASS

and a border around each line would be great.

When I manually make these changes, they look fine, but are lost when the table is updated.  Is there a way to make such changes persistent?

Thank you for all the help you've already given me with your prior posts.

I can't think of any way to do this using the built-in features of the TOC field, and in fact, I can't think of any simple way to do it at all. There might be some sort of complicated way to do it, but it would doubtless be more trouble than it is worth. The only thing I can suggest is that, assuming you have created a template for this document so that each copy of the document is separate (that is, changes you make to one copy will not affect subsequent copies), you should wait until editing is complete, then unlink the TOC (Ctrl+Shift+F9) and format it as desired. I wish I could think of some better method, but I just can't.

The fact that I am not devious enough to think of a way, though, needn't mean that there absolutely isn't a way. Perhaps someone else will be capable of thinking more laterally. Try posting the question at to see if someone else has a better idea.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors