Microsoft Word/MS Word printing issues

Question
QUESTION: I have a document with mixed orientation. Pages 1-8 are portrait containing diagrams and text; pages 9-13 landscape containg text doxes.  I need to print double sided.  When I print it prints pages 9, 11 & 13 upsaid down.  How can I make it print these pages the right way up.

I have tried:
- removing section/page breaks
- rotating the diagram on the pages

ANSWER: The issue here is the way the printer duplexes. Your printer Properties will include a control that defines whether duplexed pages are intended to flip on the long edge (book style) or top edge (tablet style). For landscape-oriented pages, you need to flip on the short edge. Obviously, you can't have both types of flip in the same print run, so your only option may be to print the first eight pages with the default flip, then change the setting and print the rest. Admittedly, this is not very satisfactory; it may be that if you print to PDF first, you will be able to manipulate the PDF better (though I can't state that for a fact).

QUESTION: Thank you so much. I thought it was the printer devices that were causing the issue, and you have confirmed it.  How to I print to pdf format?

Carrie

Answer
If you have Word 2007 or later, the ability to create PDFs from Word docs is built in (Save as PDF). Otherwise, you'll need to use Acrobat or one of the many free PDF creation programs available online (PrimoPDF and CutePDF are among those often recommended). Since I last wrote, I've had Acrobat open and see that it does provide the ability to rotate pages; I don't know what manipulation is possible in the free software. Word has only the ability to create PDFs, not to edit them, so that wouldn't help.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill