Microsoft Word/table of contents

Question
I have a very large 230 page + document. Is it possible to, in the table of contents, insert a link on the page number of the section you want to go to, click it and it goes directly to that section?

Answer
By default, in all versions of Words, the page numbers in a TOC are hyperlinked to the relevant page. In Word 2000 and above, the entries themselves are also hyperlinked by default. In both cases, unless you have changed Word's settings, you must Ctrl+click to follow a hyperlink, and you should get a popup indicating that when you mouse over a TOC entry.

A limitation of the TOC for this purpose is that returning to the TOC is not always easy. In some versions of Word you can add a "Go to TOC" button to a toolbar or the QAT. In all versions Alt+Left Arrow will take you back where you started when you click on a hyperlink. But for navigating in a document, you may find that the Document Map or, in Word 2010 and above, the Navigation Pane, is more useful since you can keep it displayed next to the document at all times and easily click on a heading to go directly to it.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill