Microsoft Word/Tables updating calculations

Question
Good day Aidan

I've created a Word 2010 template to manage accommodation bookings. At the moment I've inserted an Excel spreadsheet as an object into this document into which No. of days and tariffs are entered. The formulas in the spreadsheet then calculate totals, deposits and balances. However, the spreadsheet embedded as an object, doesn't display as well in the MS Word doc as I would like it to. The size and appearance of the fonts are slightly different than those of the rest of the document, thus looking like an afterthought. I would therefore, prefer to use an MS Word table instead but in a table, the formulas only seem to display a calculation result at the time that they are created. They fail to update calculation results automatically when used as part of a template. Can this be done somehow? Alternatively, do you have any other suggestions? (Although using Excel documents exclusively instead of combinations of Word/Excel like indicated above, might also be an option, the aesthetic design limitations of Excel, as a result of its rigid cell structure, presents a problem).

Regards.
Nico Smith.

Answer
Formulas in Word will update when told to - so ctrl A, F9 would do it, as would a print instruction - but I agree that this isn't ideal.  You mentioned that this is a template - if it is what I would define as a template (i.e standard text is loaded and new data added every time you want to use the form) then I would do this by the use of VBA and a userForm - this form would gather the necessary data, do the necessary calculations and populate the document -that way, you get the benefits of the Word layout and you don't have the calculation issues.

I don't have an example of a complex template online but I do have a basic userform example - http://aidanheritage.byethost3.com/word/aidan%20blank%20letter.dot which gives you a basic idea of what I'm referring to - more than happy to help further and my email is aidan.heritage@virgin.net
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Aidan Heritage