Microsoft Word/UNLOCK MAIL MERGE TOOLBAR IN WORD 2003

Question
THE MAIL MERGE TOOL MENU IS LOCKED/UNAVAILABLE IN THE WORD 2003 WE USE AT WORK. IS IT POSSIBLE TO UNLOCK IT/MAKE AVAILABLE WHICH WOULD ENABLE ME/USER TO ADD ADDITIONAL FIELD NAMES TO ANY THE EXISTING WORD DOC RATHER THAN TYPE OR COPY AND PASTE ANY DATA WHICH IS ALREADY SAVED/IN THE DATA SOURCE FILE.  APOLOGIZES IF I HAVEN'T EXPLAINED THE ABOVE VERY CLEAR - THANKS IAN

Answer
Unless the document is protected in some way, the Mail Merge toolbar should not be unavailable, but most of its buttons will be disabled unless the document is a mail merge main document. If the document is a merged document (that is, the result of a merge), then it is not a mail merge main document. When you press Alt+F9, do you see merge fields? If not, it is not a mail merge main document. If so, it may just need to be reconnected to the data source (using the Open Data Source button, second from the left).
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill