Microsoft Word/Word Search in MS Word 2010

I would like to search for a word in each of the word files that are is contained in a directory (I am not interested in replacing it, just searching for it.)

Chris, you would do this through the Windows Explorer.  I do not see what version of Windows you are using, but I will use Windows 7 as an example.  Windows 8, you can use the F3 keystroke as a shortcut.

Go to the START menu > Documents

from here you will need  to click on the folder (if necessary that contains your documents)  they may be in the Documents folder.

There is a search field in the upper right hand corner.

You can also search files from the START menu Search Field.

There are many tips on using the search field in Windows available by clicking on the HELP "?" in the upper right corner and searching for...

Advanced tips for searching in Windows

If you are simply looking for a single word or phrase then just type it in the search field.

If  your question is... can you search throught several open Word documents at one time, the answer is no.

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Nancy C. Janyszeski

Microsoft Office 97 to 2010. Certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor and MOUS Master Certified. Sr. Instructional Designer for International IT Certification for Activ, the only UK-based provider of approved training and testing software for ECDL Foundation and British Computer Society Qualifications

Vocational School Instructor in the Microsoft Office Suite . I am Microsoft Office User Specialist (MOUS) Master Certified and was certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor. ICDL certified, Microsoft Office 2010. Sr Instructional Designer for International IT Certification and test designer for Skills Advantage,

MOUS Master Certified, was Certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor, ICDL certified, Microsoft Office 2010.