Microsoft Word/How to apply hyberlinks in pdf file?

Hi Dale

Hope you've been doing well.

Do you know how I can cross-reference a specific word in a sentence as a link so when someone clicks on it, they will be re-directed to a specific web address I want them to be sent to?

This is for my free pdf file Iím giving to my subscribers for opting in using OpenOffice 3.4.1. But when I'm opening the file at the top window bar it says it's a word document. My Operating system is windows 8. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Take Care

Hi Sterling,

Doing great thanks for asking.

It sounds to me like you are looking for something like this:

Insert A Hyperlink That Goes To Another Document, File, Or Web Page

You can create a hyperlink that goes to an existing file or to a new file. After you've specified a name for the new file, you can choose to open the file for editing immediately or come back to it later. Either way, the file is created for you.

1.   Select the text or drawing object you want to display as the hyperlink, and then click Insert Hyperlink  

2.   Do one of the following:

To link to an existing file or Web page, click Existing File or Web Page under Link to.
To link to a file that you haven't created yet, click Create New Document under Link to.

3.   Do one of the following:

If you clicked Existing File or Web Page in step 2, locate and select the file you want to link to.

If you clicked Create New Document in step 2, type a name for the new file. You can also specify the path to the new file and choose whether you want to open the new file for editing now or later.

4.   To assign a tip to be displayed when you rest the mouse over the hyperlink, click Screen Tip and then type the text you want. Word uses the path or address of the file as the tip if you do not specify one.

5.   Click OK twice.

Good luck.

Dale :-)

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Dale F. Wiley

I must report that I donít use Word 2003, 2007 or 2010 and have yet to be convinced that I need them. Microsoft Word 97 Microsoft Word 2000 Microsoft Word 2002 Please note: I will not answer questions about Fields, Statements, Formulas, Macros, creating and writing specific macros, VBA (Visual Basic Editor) and the Microsoft Script Editor I am willing to answer questions about: Envelopes, Mailing Labels, Database, Graphics, WordArt, Interactive Forms, Formatting, Faxes, Letters, Lists, Newsletters, Tables, Web Pages, Email, Hyperlinks, Bookmarks, HTML, Table of Contents, Footnotes, Endnotes, AutoText, AutoCorrect, Headers and Footers, Converting Documents, Customizing Toolbars and Toolbar Icons, Margins, Page Settings, Layout, Dictionaries, Languages, Find and Replace, Mail Merge, Printing, Saving Cut, Copy, Paste, Paste Special, Office Clipboard, Keyboard Shortcuts, Font Lists, Customizing, Options, Templates, Bullets, Numbering, Borders, Using Themes, Fields, Symbols, Document Map, Find and Replace, etc.

Microsoft Office and Microsoft Word in particular is one of the most popular programs that our firm, Computer Help provides instruction, one on one tutoring and consultation. I personally use MS Word for almost every task: Envelopes, Mailing Labels, Database, WordArt, Interactive Forms, Faxes, Letters, Lists, Newsletters, Tables, Email Editor and much more. The exception, Graphics and Web Pages. For graphics I use Ulead's PhotoImpact and Microsoft's FrontPage for web site design.

Our column, COMPUTER Help's Q&A The Internet - E-mail,
appears in the Sun City Center PC Computer Club's Newsletter.

Formerly the #1 rated Microsoft Word Expert at since volunteering there in December 2000. In that time, responding to thousands of questions most of which were specific to Microsoft Word.