Microsoft Word/Creating Fillable Form

Question
Hi Aidan,

I'm sending this question to you because your info indicates you've supported MS Office for many years. I'm assuming (and hoping!) this includes both Excel and Word. I'm using Office 2010.

I want to create a multi-page form to get necessary information from new clients. The form will include list boxes, combo boxes, text boxes, etc. I want the form to look good and be easy for clients to type in. Using field validation to help make sure numeric fields contain only numbers, for example, would be nice but not imperative.

Based on your knowledge and/or experience, is Word or Excel much better suited than the other to create a form like this?

Thank you.

Answer
I would PROBABLY do this in Word, though both would work - my reasoning is that word is supported by programs other than word so MAY be easier for clients to open if they didn't have office.  By using the legacy form controls you can add the validation you want - see http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/word-help/create-forms-that-users-complete-or- for a discussion about Word forms.  Using excel would give you (possibly) easier validation but I think would possibly be overkill - and harder to format the way you want.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Aidan Heritage