Microsoft Word/Mail merge multiple docs

Question
Can you tell me if it's possible to use MS mail merge to make updates to multiple documents (some are word docs and some are text documents and some are markdown docs) using one data source.  The key is one data source, eg I have folder with lots of documents (not all the same format) and I want to create one data source where I include all the updates needed for all the docs.  The data is dates, ie these change yearly so we are trying to find a slick way to manage the updates from a central location.

If MS mail merge can do it but only for word format docs then that would be a start.

At the moment I'm using Office 2003, but would be interested if this is a feature offered in a later version.

I've read about how you can merge multiple docs into one document and then perform the mail merge, but then I would need to separate the merge docs out again afterwards, this could be a way forward.

If it's not possible to do from the one datasource then would it be possible to maybe create a separate mail merge for each separate document and then be able to write a macro which would go and run all the mail merges and produce the updates docs??

Any advice on which route to go down would be grately appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Marie

Answer
Because the documents are different formats it is going to be difficult to come up with a "one size fits all" answer. I would think that mail merge is likely to be the least feasible option - for the word documents, one option (depending upon the number of entries we are talking about) would be to paste a link into the document at the location of the "merge" information - this would then give you the current values.  You mentioned a macro, so that would be an alternative - for each known document, open it and make the changes - with Word, this could be via form fields or bookmarks.  I'm happy to help further with this in any way I can and if it helps my direct email is aidan.heritage@virgin.net
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Aidan Heritage