Microsoft Word/Word 11 / 2003

Hello Suzanne,

I freshly changed an old XP box for an ASUS Win 7 - 64 bits.
I was able to reinstall Office 2003 without any problems.
Everything works fine, except for one function in Word :
when opening a new or an existing document .HTML, I can do whatever I desire ( add, modify text , images, hyperlink, ... ) but when I want to "save" or "save as" the new or modified file, I get a msg ( with no reference ) telling me that Internet Explorer 5 or higher is required to complete the operation.
I have both IE 9 - 32 and 64 bits version installed and operational,so quid !!!
Hope you can help me out on this.
Thanking you in advance.

Trying to get an older program to recognize newer ones can sometimes have puzzling results and generate absurd error messages. I have very little experience with HTML in Word (I very quickly abandoned it and started using FrontPage to create my websites), so I don't have a definitive answer, but I can suggest one possible line of attack. Go to Tools | Options | General and click on the Web Options... button. On the Browsers tab, the default setting for "People who view this Web page will be using" is "Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 or later." Try changing that to IE 5.0 (or 6.0, which is the highest version offered) and see if that helps.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors