Microsoft Word/Word Forms data autoentry

Hey Suzanne,
I have created protected forms in Word. I want certain Active X controls to automatically extract data from another Active X Control.
Eg if a person input a name where asked, that name will be transfered to every other cell which asks for the  same persons name. It is almost like an autoentry.
Please could you tell me how to do this?

Many Thanks

This is quite easy to do, and you don't need ActiveX controls (in fact, ActiveX controls are not compatible with protected forms).

In the Form Field Options for the Text Form Field where the name will be entered, check the box for "Calculate on exit" and note the name of the built-in bookmark. Better still, change the bookmark to something more meaningful, such as "Name."

Wherever you want the name repeated, insert a REF field referencing that bookmark. You can use Word's tools to insert a cross-reference (how you do this will depend on what version of Word you have) or you can create the field manually: press Ctrl+F9 to insert a field, which will look like this:

{  }

Although the field delimiters look like braces, they can't be entered from the keyboard; you have to insert them using Ctrl+F9. There will be two spaces between them, and the insertion point will be between the spaces. Type "REF Name" (assuming that "Name" is your bookmark name) so that the field looks like this:

{ REF Name }

F9 to update the field, and when the form is protected and data is entered in the field with the "Name" bookmark, this cross-reference will update automatically.

For more on this, see
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've been using Word for Windows since version 2.0 (1992), and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. But I may know a few things that you don't, and I'll help if I can. I answer many questions every day in Microsoft's peer support forums and as a result have been awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Professional) designation by Microsoft Corporation. You may be able to find the answer to your question at the Word MVPs' FAQ site or at my own Word FAQ site, so please check those first! Please, no questions about VBA (macros), Registry editing, networks, or complex merges, as I have no experience with these aspects of Word, nor do I have any experience with Word for Mac. Please indicate which version of Word you are using; if you are not sure, see "What version of Word do I have?".

I have a master's degree in classics (Latin), which is surprisingly helpful, though I no longer teach. The things I am proudest of: Having raised two children to maturity, both Merit Scholars, both college graduates (one a philosophy major!), one Phi Beta Kappa (from Harvard!); having been made a Paul Harris Fellow by my Rotary club; having been designated a Microsoft MVP.

Rotary Club of Fairhope, Friends of the Fairhope Public Library

B.A. (Latin), Agnes Scott College, 1966; M.A. (Classics), Emory University, 1972.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award every year since 1999; many Rotary honors